PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Monday, June 3, 2013

"Malia"

 I arrived in Honduras yesterday, with the usual applause for the pilot as we landed in the second most dangerous airport in the world. This was my first successful flight into Honduras flying solo! Traveling alone to a foreign country can be a little nerve-racking sometimes.

After I arrived, we headed over to a pool party for Elsa, one of Suzy's children. It was very fun to swim in that refreshing water, while the air above was humid and caliente. We ate PB&J's, some yummy cake, and then hacked at the piñata for a good while. People... this piñata is the largest piñata I have EVER seen...


After the party, we packed up some food and clothes and headed out to the Children's Home for a sleepover! We played and played and played, then we had a fogata (bonfire)! It was a blast, we played games, sang songs, told stories. It felt like I was at camp again. It was fun to see such joy in all of the children.

Just singing some songs

Dance contest?



Amanda telling Marvin the story of how Chicho died...
By far the best part of the trip so far is walking into Sala Cuna. Sala Cuna is the nursery for our littlest ones. I knocked on the door and Lester David opened, and after doing a double-take, he came running into my arms and yelled, "Malia, Malia!" (in an attempt to say Maria). After hearing this, the rest of the children came running from the back room, and my name became a chant with their small, little voices- "Malia..Malia!" It warmed my heart so much to see how much they loved and missed me. That they remembered me by name, just as I have remember them.

It was a reminder in that moment that I was loved. That not only do these children remember me by name, but my God in heaven above remembers me by name

No comments:

Post a Comment