PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Monday, January 9, 2012

Oh Education...

One thing I have learned, especially over the past few weeks, is the blessing of education. I've been reading a book by missionary Katie Davis, and in one of the chapters she discusses education. She talks about how hard it is for the kids in Uganda to get any education at all because they cant afford. Want to know how much it costs for them to go to school for three months? Between 10 and 50 American dollars... three months guys. Tuition is up for the kids in Honduras, but still it is only 40 dollars a month for them to go to school. And their families can't afford that. Some of the people in Uganda use half of their year's salary just to send one child to school. That sure puts life into perspective if you ask me. It really has started to break my heart. I think the part that really gets me is my past considerations of dropping out of college and my consistent complaints over the years about hating school and thinking it was stupid. I don't even like to think about how much money I pay to go to school, or to buy groceries, or clothes or whatever. 40 dollars. That's all. I sit here stressing and complaining about my education, while families and children in other countries and even in my own are hungry and begging just to go to first grade. It makes you realize how blessed you are for having what you have, but God doesn't allow us to have these things for no reason. He doesn't suggest that we help the needy and give to the poor- He instructs us to. 

Anyways, sorry/not sorry that was a tad heart wrenching, but that's what has been on my mind today. Especially as I complained to Rutledge about my education and making decisions about my major. He prayed over me that I would surrender it all to God, all my planning, and that God would reveal to me the knowledge I need to move forward in my decisions.

 But God sure has been revealing more than just that...

No comments:

Post a Comment