PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Friday, February 3, 2012

The Bible cracks me up..

I've been reading 1 Samuel this week, slowly but surely. If you haven't read it, it's pretty great, and actually pretty funny! As an example, I will share with you my favorite verses in this book so far after I give you a little context. Basically, Eli's family has been cursed because his sons were blasphemous. God told him that everyone in his family would perish, and that his two sons would die on the same day. It goes on, there was a huge battle, the Philistines captured the Ark of the Covenant, and both of Eli's sons were killed. Benjamin (a messenger) comes to tell Eli the news of his sons deaths and the capture of the Ark of the Covenant. And here's the best part:

     "As soon as he mentioned the ark of God, Eli fell over backward from his seat by the side of the gate, and his neck was broken and he died, for the man was old and heavy."


Isn't that just great?! It makes a pretty interesting mental image for me: a fat, old man falling over and dying- just like that. On a more serious note, it really shows the power of the Lord. Just like that, all of these people perished for disobeying him. I'll be honest, that's intimidating. But his love is so great for us, that when we fail, he forgives us and doesn't destroy us on the spot. So thankful!

1 comment:

  1. Definitely very thankful that I'm not under the old covenant!

    ReplyDelete